Basic Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
The Merit Contractors Association Benefit Plan includes basic Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) coverage for employees. It provides 24-hour protection against on or off-the-job accidents, whether on business, vacation or at home. Basic AD&D coverage is provided by Chubb Life Insurance Company of Canada.
The amount of AD&D coverage is referred to as the principal sum.
Hour Bank Benefit Plan participants: refer to your benefit booklet to determine the amount of your principal sum.
Office Supervisory Benefit Plan participants: refer to your Benefit Confirmation Statement to determine the amount of your principal sum.
Schedule of Losses
If any of the following losses occur within one year from the accident date, the insurer will pay the percentage of the principal sum indicated. Not more than one (the largest) of such benefits shall be paid with respect to injuries that result from one accident.
- Paraplegia (total paralysis of both lower limbs): 200%
- Quadriplegia (total paralysis of all four limbs): 200%
- Hemiplegia (total paralysis of one side of the body): 200%
- Loss, or loss of use of, both arms, both hands, both legs or both feet: 200%
- Loss of use of one arm and one leg on same side of body: 200%
- Loss of life: 100%
- Loss of entire sight of both eyes: 100%
- Loss, or loss of use of, one hand and one foot: 100%
- Loss of use of one hand or one arm and one leg:100%
- Loss of one hand and entire sight of one eye: 100%
- Loss of one foot and entire sight of one eye: 100%
- Loss of speech and hearing in both ears: 100%
- Brain death: 100%
- Loss, or loss of use of, one arm or one leg: 75%
- Loss, or loss of use of, one hand or one foot: 75%
- Loss of entire sight of one eye: 75%
- Loss of speech or hearing in both ears: 75%
- Loss, or loss of use of, thumb and index finger of same hand: 33 1/3%
- Loss of four fingers of same hand: 33 1/3%
- Loss of hearing in one ear: 33 1/3%
- Loss of all toes of one foot: 25%
The following additional benefits are also included in basic AD&D coverage:
- Bereavement Benefit
- Cosmetic Disfigurement Benefit
- Critical Disease Benefit
- Day Care Benefit
- Family Transportation Benefit
- Home Alteration and Vehicle Modification Benefit
- Identification Benefit
- In-Hospital Confinement Monthly Income
- Rehabilitation Benefit
- Repatriation Benefit
- Seat Belt Benefit
- Special Education Benefit
- Spousal Occupation Training Benefit
- Surgical Reattachment Benefit
For a full description of additional benefits, please refer to your benefit booklet.
Total Disability Waiver of Premium
If your Employee Life Insurance premiums are being waived due to a total disability, then premiums for the AD&D benefit will also be waived so long as the policy remains in force. Waiver must be applied for within 300 days of the onset of disability. The appropriate form can be obtained by contacting Mercon Benefit Services. Once approved, AD&D premiums are waived while the employee remains disabled, up to age 65. The insurer may ask for proof of continuing disability from time to time.
Once the AD&D benefit terminates, it may be converted to an individual policy. An application for individual insurance must be made within 31 days of termination of the group AD&D benefit. For complete details of the conversion option, contact Mercon Benefit Services.
For full details of basic AD&D coverage and exclusions, refer to your benefit booklet.